Signature Plastics Parts Numbers
Signature Plastics (SP) keycaps are each designated by an "intelligent part number". These part numbers have historically only been used internally, but for the good of the community, we will be helping Signature Plastics externally document their usage and interpretation, so that orders can be more clearly and unambiguously stated by both parties.
[Signature Plastics Legends]
Inventory Part Numbers
Signature Plastics keeps some number of typically blank keycaps in inventory. These keycaps have 6 digit part numbers.
2-Shot Legended Keycaps
Doubleshot keycaps are designated with part numbers by signature plastics in the following way:
- 14 digit Engineering Part Number (EPU)
- color codes for part
- n-digit legend code
The 14-digit prefix of an SP 2-shot part number indicates all characteristics needed for SP to select a mold for the second shot of the keycap. That is, the mold for the keycap and mounting stem itself (the initial shot is the legend). These characteristics are (in order) as follows:
- keycap family type (DCS, SPH, SA, ...)
- mount style (MX, Alps)
- external description (optional external mold subfamily identifier)
- internal description (optional internal mold subfamily identifier)
- dimensional description (required mold size identifier in arbitrary units)
- row number (refer to row profiles for each family here)
- mount description (typically A for 'all mounts for this mold')
- mount spacing code (specifies distance between mounts for this mold)
An exam part number
Consider the following part number: 104U0000A12C00*NN/WA- Q838 - Meaning to production: 10(DCS ABS Family), 4U (Cherry MX Mount), 00 (no additional external information), 00 (no additional internal information), A1 (single space key), 2 (row 2), C (center mount), 00 (no mount spacing required), NN/WA - (Black 2nd shot/keycap body and White 1st Shot/legend), Q838 (legend number for the Q 0.187" tall located in the upper left corner of the keycap). We have over 500,000 legends in our legend library and sadly for me they are not cataloged on the computer, so I have no way of providing you this information 'preorder'. It would however, be exponentially helpful if from here on out I gave you our work orders containing these intelligent part number so re-orders or new orders with the same legends are the same - specifically from a legend standpoint.